Welcome to our new feature: Friday Five! This Friday we are sharing 5 great outdoor spots in the Philadelphia area!
1. Washington Square Park- this park is a great place to relax, have a picnic or read. There is also a nice fountain and a monument to the soldiers who fought in the American Revolution. It is one block down and one block over from Independence Hall so there’s a nice “historical” feel as well! Fun Fact: the park was a huge burial site during the Revolution, so if that doesn’t creep you out too much, then it’s a great spot!
2. Wissahicken Park- this park is located just on the outer edge of Philadelphia, but you would never know it was part of the city limits! There are numerous hiking and mountain biking trails that criss-cross over the river running through the park. Parking is limited but you can usually find a spot! There is a really nice, wide walking path, too. A great place to bring the family and your dog as well.
3. Valley Forge National Park- many people think of Valley Forge as just a historic site from the American Revolution but it is so much more! There are miles of trails- paved and unpaved- for hiking, running, biking and horse back riding. There are also numerous areas for picnicking and just relaxing in the sun! This is our “go-to” place for weekend picnicks!
4. Franklin Square- located in Center City between 6th and 7th streets, Franklin Square is a great park to walk to! There is a playground for the kids, a nice fountain and a burger stand! The burger stand also features really good milkshakes!
5. Rittenhouse Square- this park is a large square of land in the Rittenhouse area of Philly. Surrounded on all sides by shopping and restaurants you definitely get that “park within a city” feel here. You will often find musicians or random dance groups in the park and there are also a lot of art festivals here, as well! It’s a great place to soak in some sun in the summer and relax or play with your dog!
Do you have an idea for Friday Five? Drop us a line and let us know! Send us your Friday Five list and you could be featured on our next Friday Five!
Connect with us!
This week’s Friday Five post was written by Rachel of Can’t Google Everything. Rachel is a lifestyle blogger living in the Philadelphia suburbs. She is a wife, mom, teacher and lover of exclamation points!
We are also linking up here today!